Press "Enter" to skip to content

Facebook, Twitter Delete Videos Of Doctor Making Claims Of COVID-19 Cure

DR. STELLA IMMANUEL

Online Social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter as well as the video streaming site, Youtube, have deleted videos of the Nigerian, American-based Doctor, Dr Stella Immanuel, who claimed to have a 100 percent success rate in the treatment of COVID-19 by using hydroxychloroquine.

The video was first published by Breitbart News, a right-wing medium co-founded by Steve Bannon, a former aide to American President, Donald Trump.

The video quickly went viral on Facebook, and became one of the top-performing posts on the platform with about 14 million views and counting, before it was taken down on Monday night for promoting misinformation. According to a data analytics firm owned by facebook, the post was shared for over 600 times.

A Facebook spokesperson said;

“We’ve removed this video for sharing false information about cures and treatments for COVID-19, the platform is showing messages in News Feed to people who have reacted to, commented on or shared harmful COVID-19-related misinformation that we have removed, connecting them to myths debunked by the WHO.”

Twitter has also followed suit as it scrubbed out the video late Monday night after Trump had shared versions of the video that got the attention of hundreds of thousands of views. A Twitter spokesperson also said;

“We’re taking action in line with our Covid misinfo policy,”

Twitter took action against the videos which made them to be no longer available for viewing on his account. An action was also taken on a version of the video posted by Donald Trump Jr. and others shared by Breitbart News.

The video was also removed by YouTube, where it had been viewed more than 40,000 times. Users attempting to access the video late Monday were greeted with a message that said it had been removed for “violating YouTube’s Community Guidelines.”

According to the website for America’s Frontline Doctors, the group is led by Dr. Simone Gold, a Los Angeles-based emergency medicine specialist who has previously been featured on Fox News for her views that stay-at-home orders are harmful.

Gold had told the Associated Press in May that she wanted to speak out against the stay-home orders because according to her, there was “no scientific basis that the average American should be concerned” about Covid-19.

America’s Frontline Doctors, however, could not be reached for comment as at late Monday.

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *